One Hundred Pubs In A Small Town Built By A Former Convict
Echuca was founded by one of the most entrepreneurial personalities of the early colonial era, a former convict named Henry Hopwood. In 1850 he bought a small boat to transport people and goods through the Murray River near the junction Campaspe. As the relatively small settlement Hopwood’s Ferry business grew, a small town became The City of Echuca. The post office of Hopwood, Punt, opened its doors around 1854 and was renamed Echuca Post Office on January 1, 1855.
While the settlers in Echuca treated the native Australians with relative friendliness, their way of life was irrevocably changed by their relationship with the Europeans. From the late 1820s to the 1850s, smallpox threatened their well-being and became the margins of the people living on the banks of the Murray River, occasionally entering the European economy as fishermen and laborers.
Port of Australia From The Inside
In the 1870s Echuca was the largest inland port in Australia. Echuca was the shortest point between the Murray River and the Capital of Melbourne. It was an important river port and a railroad crossing. The steam-powered rowing boats reached the 400-metre-long Echuca Wharf Redgum, which was to be unloaded and transported by rail to Melbourne. Wool, wheat, other grains, livestock and wood were the most common cargo. The pier was added to the World Heritage List.
This industrial boom has resulted in a fast-growing population of more than 15,000 and more than one hundred pubs (hotels) that are claimed to exist in the Echuca district at some point. An iron bridge was built in 1878 by the NSW Railways Department over the Murray River.
Lucid Being – Ash